CRACKBERRYRANTZ

YOU ARE NOW FREE TO RANT ABOUT ANYTHING

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

CRACKBERRYRANTZ - What are they? Where did they come from? And what they could become?

Mostly everyday of every work week I commute into NY to go to my job as a seller of digital media, woo hoo, I know, I know you wish you were me, and every Monday through Friday I spend anywhere from two and a half to three hours a day going to and coming from this prestigious of positions in the ad media world, yes, I am the pain in the ass on the phone that has some new exciting media that you have to see and have your client involved in, yes that’s me, the Mad Director of Digital Sales.Anyway, during this part-time weekly job that I call commuting, I have time to devour the daily newspapers, mostly the WSJ and NY Times, although I find the journal much more appealing, I read that one from the far left top column on the front page all the way through the last book review in Personal Journal, and I admit that I chuckle at the daily Salt n’Pepper. I sometimes never even get to the times because the Journal stories keep me engaged and get my mind working, working like crazy, working so hard on the next best whatever and how I am going to be part of it and how I am so tired of working for the man and schlepping my ass into the city, it blows.

Sorry, I have a habit of writing tangents or rants, or what I call rantz, because a marketing article that I recently read reports that if your business or name has a “Z” at the end then consumers have greater recall and it’s cool. at the same time. The times either gets thrown away or I skim over the Business Day, quickly browse the newly created “today in business” section on page 2 and see if they have any new or different articles than my Journal. I check out the Media and Advertising columns, to see what Stuart Elliot is up to and lastly will check out the addenda to see if there is anything happening at any of my clients that will impact my sales and thus, my income.

Usually, more in the morning, or maybe I just notice more in the morning because by the time I get on the train to go home I am spent, mind is mush, that’s why I invest the twenty five cents on the NY Post, the mindless content in that publication is just like when Goldilocks tasted baby bears porridge, it’s just right, not to hot, not too cold, just right.Page six and Paula Frolich, the cover story, the weird news column from all over the world, the local sports coverage is okay and the entertainment related ca-ca near the TV listings. That usually gets me through the majority of the trip home that always seems so much longer, that one extra stop in wherever, that extra couple minutes, killer.So once I fold the post and put it under my seat I grab the old blackberry and see if I need to reply to any messages or if anyone is looking for me. After I holster my weapon of today’s business world I know I got another 15 minutes to waste before my stop so I figure I will walk back to the last car because, one there is usually a bathroom back there and, two, that exit is the closest to where I parked my car in the morning. Another goal that can be achieved with this maneuver with 15 minutes to go is that I will see someone that I know and spend the final moments on the train chatting. It’s a 60/40 split, I usually end up gabbing and wetting my pants.

But the morning, that is where I thrive, I can’t sleep on the train, I got my coffee, newspapers and an hour and fifteen minutes at a minimum to catch up on yesterday’s happenings and figure out how any of these reports have anything to do with me? How will it affect me? How can I benefit from this news? Is there a business model that would work? Or, is the train going to break down? Will it follow a local? Are there delays? How will the outcome of this commute affect the rest of my daily existence?

No comments: