CRACKBERRYRANTZ

YOU ARE NOW FREE TO RANT ABOUT ANYTHING

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Apple iphrustration


Give me a fucking break, iphone just sold their 1 millionth phone, hmmmm let me do the math, $600 times, I mean $400 multiplied by one million(# of iphones-in case you were confused where the million came from) okay that's 400 million worse case scenario, that's not accounting for the three months the iphone was $200 more expensive, what if only 50 percent of them were $600 and 50 percent was $400, that's still $800 million! And the press is marketing the fact that people, investors, analysts, are starting to question Apple, today they announced a price cut, but if you waited on line in the beginning or paid full price recently don't worry, we are giving you slackers $200 dollars in rebate and the die hard consumer who waited forever thru all the early year hype and the demanding lines on launch day, will also get 100 buck store credit. How can you question the success of this company! Is ipod a forgotten success? That's still a cash register. How many companies can boast 400 million in sales in three months?

What if Steve Jobs walks out tomorrow and says this was the marketing plan all along, the teasers in January, the build through the end of May and the phenomenon that occurred in June! The plan includes how they will create demand for 6 months, with enticing ads, cool ads that make the six year olds come out in all of us, "I want that, I wanna be first, I wanna be the spoiled little rich kid around the corner for once” So I am going to budget and put away such and such a month and by the time June comes I'll have enough and....bullshit! It's go time, you have rationalized for all this time do I get it, it's expensive, it's awesome, can my anal retentive self deal with all the smudges, what is the mark that my sweaty ear left, will it have a dollar key instead of searching for a stupid symbol button and then finding the $ key, sorry RIM that drives me crazy.

June comes and you get it and you are hooked and for three months; an elite group gets to flaunt the goods, the new drug on the street that everyone wants, but it's just a little too expensive, just out of reach. When seeing a friends you flash back to the first time you wanted to ride your buddy's new bike, but the kid doesn't want to give it up just yet, so he says, "my dad said nobody could ride it but me......sorry". You know the feeling, dashed, extinguished hopes. End of discussion, but this time your buddy gives you the quick demo until he says, "try it" no way! You handle this iphone like the gun Paul Zimmerman stole from the cop he used to baby-sit for in eighth grade or the first time you smoked pot; that nervous, exhilarating, nervousness, which almost makes you pee in your pants, only a little though.

You having this thing in your hands it's almost like a hurricane whizzing around in your skull ricocheting off the shell of the brain, what if I drop it, what if it goes off, what if it breaks, I don't wanna get busted is the same feeling as spending the six large for this weapon. Buyers remorse is one thing, but how about the ball busting you get from your wife, the old “this is one of the things we talked about last time”. It's worth it this time, forget about having the conversation first and discussing it, because the first time there is even a hint of mention of this incredible new toy, Apple is practically making the Porsche affordable to me with this product, that's how cool it is, and the woman who keeps J Crew in business is telling me I can't have it, we can't afford it, it's impractical. Another rant for another time, trust me on that one. So you say this is cool, but it isn't cool enough for me to switch to Cingular, I mean the new AT&T. I am not going through the hassle of switching over phone services after I just finally, I think, I hope, I pray finally got straightened away because I got the fios and bundled my cell with it and it is finally okay, more so the problem was on the fios product and not the wireless, ask me one day about my on going frustration with the Verizon fios product. That experience is still unfolding for me, mystery cancellations, installers showing up at your house unannounced and bills that look like an expense for a emergency room visit. Let me finish this apple thing before I get off the train.

I would never leave Verizon wireless again. So that's one reason, the other is, I still don't have an ipod, but I really have procrastinating since last X-Mas. So finally Jobs goes over the finer points of the plan, the reduction in price at the peak of the back to school stage, campuses across the country are calming down after returning from the summer vacation, parents missing their kids and want to do something special for them, the holiday is right around the corner, this is genius. This is a sign of successful business plan/product launch that crushed the market initially and after three months needed a nudge, a tap a push, and bam, one million sold. Wait until he announces next month, that since that sixteen year old kid broke the code that other networks could work on the iphone, he is, In conjunction with AT&T, making the iphone to another phone network, maybe Verizon, (please?please?please?) and another two million are sold at $400 before the end of the year, successful, I say so! Another 800 million but we cut AT&T a little more or back, whatever the case is and let Verizon have the product too. Who cares, the fcc will never let their only be one cellular company, so do, big biz, what you can to make everybody happy, but do it in a way that all partners in the deal, including, us the end user, can walk away feeling like we got what we deserved in the end.

No comments: